Sunday, September 14, 2008

"The Goal"

"I do not mean that I am already as God wants me to be. I have not yet reached the goal, but I continue trying to reach it and make it mine. Christ wants me to do that, which is the reason he made me his. Brothers and sisters, I know that I have not reached that goal, but there is one thing I always do. Forgetting the past and straining toward what is ahead. I keep trying to reach the goal and get the prize for which God called me through Christ to the life above."
Philippians 3:12-14

As I become more mature in Christ, I realize I want more. I'm not happy with just showing up for church on Sundays, worshiping God, and going home. Being a Christian is so much more than that. It's a continual relationship with God that flourishes through prayer and reading the word. It's having an attitude of praise, whether you are with other Christians or by yourself. It's not about "look at me", it's about look at what Christ can do when you surrender your life to him.

If you have truly accepted Jesus Christ into your heart, you can't possible be the same person you once were. You should have a changed heart. Your thoughts, your actions, your goals all become different. Your wants and desires change. You want to be pleasing to Christ and want to learn more about him. The gray areas of your personal opinions and convictions become more black and white. You stop riding the teeter totter of life that has one foot in the world and the other occasional seeking God. It's a sanctification process that people who don't believe won't understand. You'll be called judgmental and radical. You will be condemned and ostracized at times. Is it hard to be a Christian? Absolutely! But I believe in a God who sent his son to die upon a cross and forgive my sins, so that I could have everlasting life. How many of your friends, co-workers, or family members would do that for you? Now that's radical.

If you claim to be a Christian, start acting like one! Many people refuse to come to Christ because they are turned off by the words and actions of so-called Christians. Anger, gossip, and arrogance are the very things that cause the world to view Christians as hypocrites. I don't want to be viewed as that type of Christian. I want the world to see the love and compassion of Christ in all I do and say. We need to get serious about our commitment to Christ and the way that we live. Do Christians sin? Absolutely! But if you claim to be a Christian, you won't want to stay in your sin for very long.

Start running the race that Christ has called you to run. Press on to the top of the steep hills and catch your breath as you go down the other side. Cry out to Jesus to help you overcome the battles within you. Strive to reach the ultimately goal...everlasting life with your father in heaven!

No comments: