Thursday, August 21, 2008

Change My Heart

"Create in me a pure heart, God, and make my spirit right again." Psalm 51:10

I think this verse best describes my daily prayer. When you become a Christian, you aren't closed off from the rest of the world. Sin is all around. It's the basic philosophy of "garbage in, garbage out". If we allow ungodly things of this world to corrupt our minds and spirit, we will become hardened to the truth in God's world. Your views become clouded and you become more accepting of the things that God clearly says are not acceptable (adultery, a deceitful tongue, unforgiveness, anger, envy, selfish ambition, idolatry, jealousy...the list goes on) Think of what we see on TV, billboards, magazines, etc. Ask yourself if they are pleasing to God. Ask yourself if they could possibly affect the way you think, feel, and treat others.

My prayer is that my heart be changed so that others can see the love of Christ in me. As Christians, we are called to be a light in the world. If we are acting like the world, how we do that?

As Christ does a work in us, we should start to recognize some of our character traits change. Here's a few character traits God is working with me on right now:

Availability vs. Self-centeredness - Adjusting my personal responsibilities around the needs of those whom I am serving. (Philippians 2:20-21)

Compassion vs. Indifference - Investing whatever is necessary to heal the hurts of others. (1st John 3:17-18)

Endurance vs. Giving Up - The inward strength to withstand stress to accomplish God's best.(Galatians 6:9)

If you ask Christ to change your heart and truly want him to do a work in you, he will! Always remember, you have a new life in Christ and we are a reflection of him.


*The description and explanation of character traits was copied from "Couples in the Bible" by Sylvia Charles. VERY GOOD BOOK!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it!!!!!! Thank you. Keep on writing girl! Love you. :-)